Friday, October 04, 2013

GRAVITY


I just saw Gravity and I must say, I am impressed.
First, let's talk special effects.  The visuals in this movie are so real it may never occur to you that the movie wasn't shot in space.  It never occurred to me.  The floating, the flying, and the spinning are all so mind-numbingly real that my disbelief was suspended from the opening moments.
The acting lives up to the technology.  Sandra Bullock plays a closed-off, quiet newbie to space who is there as a scientific adviser, not an astronaut.  When the calamatous event occur, she is the vulnerable party.

Fortunately for everyone involved, veteran actor/astronaut George Clooney is also on this mission.  Clooney is nothing if not charismatic, but this time he outdoes himself.  Pinging off Bullock, he projects strength and intelligence and more than enough charisma.  The two of them together pull off a movie that could easily have wallowed in its own sense of desperation.
I'm not going to go into the plot because, the coming attractions already give too much away.  What I will say is that, without sacrificing its sense of hard-science fiction, Gravity manages to be mile-a-minute thrill ride from the opening bell.

Seeing Gravity in IMAX 3D didn't feel like going to a movie at all.  I left the theater feeling the same way I often felt when I left a really good virtual reality attraction--you know, like Mission Space, at Epcot Center, or Star Tours at Disneyland.  

I won't call this my favorite movie of the year, but it's certainly one of the most impressive movie I have seen.  Let's put it this way, Gravity should go down in movie history as the 2001: A Space Odyssey of its time.



8 comments:

JenMo said...

I'm kind of surprised, pleasantly, that this movie is quality scifi. From previews it just looked incredibly dull to me. Lots of floating, talking, and crying. Good to know my impression was premature.

Steven L. Kent said...

Oh yeah, tight from start to finish.

Shoebox Princess said...

I have been awaiting the release of this movie since I first heard about it. I, too, am glad to hear that it does not disappoint. I feel a date night at the movies coming on....

Steven L. Kent said...

Truly amazing movie. I hope Clooney gets his an Oscar out of this.

Johnny Rico said...

I've worked in the space industry for 17 years and I always have to turn my brain off when movies come out that have space-related activities in them. This movie, I have not seen yet and I hope it's good because it just looks like 'Open Water' in space. Steven, have you read the article about astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson? He pretty much tears up Hollywood's idea of space. He makes some good points. There is also the idea of creative license, that I believe most people understand, is a necessary evil for movies. I will probably wait for DVD. Please tell me that Clooney, at least, wipes that ridiculous smirk off his face for this movie? He has only done that one other time and that was in 'The Perfect Storm'. Every other movie, he just isn't believable for me.

Steven L. Kent said...

Johnny, this time he uses that "ridiculous" smirk to his advantage. I really disliked Clooney until he made Perfect Storm and Oh Brother Where Art Thou, two good performances that led me to join the pro-Clooney camp. I think his performance in Gravity is his best work yet... well, his best work that I have seen. he plays the cocky guy, but this time the cocky guy is needed.

Shoebox Princess said...

I'll agree that the Clooney cockiness is an advantage in this case. It's cockiness with just the right doses of groundedness (spaciness? Cuz he's not ON the ground, is he? ha ha...ha?) and humility as well. Kind of an oxymoron, but I stand by it and am willing to argue my point after everyone has seen it. Otherwise, ya know, spoilers.

I've seen Neil deGrasse Tyson's list of "that's wrong" with Gravity, but he also said he liked it. (I read that on Twitter so it must be true)

I really liked George Clooney's character, and the development of Sandra Bullock's as well.

I would say this is possibly scarier for me than many horror flicks because it contains realistic death scenarios that scare the crap out of me. Not that I'll ever go to space, but the thought of NO AIR ratchets up the panic level even just sitting here. And there is another possible death scenario at the end too that I have a hard time thinking about but I won't mention because again, spoilers. And there were those three dead bodies...

Time for me to crawl into my bed, under the quilts, listen to the wind, and breathe very very deeply. O2 level at maximum capacity, thank goodness!

Steven L. Kent said...

Agreed on all points, Shoebox Princess.

Truly a wonderful movie.